Saturday 28 February 2015

Gansey heritage.


Fabulous after all these years to know that a local women's skill is being given recognition. My grandmother was always knitting and I can't remember her ever knitting  anything other than Ganseys and perhaps socks. Ganseys? Fishermen's jumpers traditional to the N.E. of Scotland (and maybe called this in other areas too) Now, in the nick of time a group called The Moray Firth Gansey Project  have been collecting and cataloging Ganseys around the Moray Firth and bringing the skill and art involved to the general public. Over 40 Ganseys have been collected and are now being exhibited around Scotland. Yesterday, I went to see the exhibition at TheMaritime Museum in Aberdeen where 2 of my grandmother, Isabella Stewart's Ganseys are on show:) I felt a great pride and pleasure at seeing the beautiful handiwork of my grandmother and other 'ordinary' fisher women being acknowledged.





No comments:

Post a Comment